Thursday, September 27, 2012

16w Appt Update

I had my 16w appt today, along with an ultrasound to check out that banding. It's all so confusing so please bear w/me as I rattle through all of this.

The ultrasound started out fine; the baby looked great and the tech was checking out all limbs/extremities just to make sure that they were all there and independent to any bands (no entanglement/adhering). She checked the HR (145), checked the brain out, we got so see a little hand waving, the face, legs....all independent of banding. Then the tech says, "let me go get Dr. Leezer and have her look". My heart sank. Josh decided that he wanted the low down of what banding means so he got the 45sec version. It LOOKED like the band was crossing the baby's body and that freaked me out. The ob came in a they discussed a possible septum, turned on the color to check blood flow and quickly determined that it was not a septum b/c no blood flow continued through the banding. It looks like the baby is behind where the banding is since there is no entanglement. BUT, this is rare and the u/s tech has seen ONE case in 10 years and between the 2 of them, they were more comfortable sending me to a specialist. I should be getting a phone call from the specialist in the next day (or maybe Monday) to schedule my appt. I *think* the primary concern is basically as the baby grows, what happens to that banding? Does it get pushed out of the way? Is it stronger than the baby? I have no idea. Right NOW, the baby is fine and looks great. praying it stays that way. I'm sure there's more that I'm not remembering right now. I have a headache and it's been a long day (we were at the dr for over 2 hours).

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys. I'm going to take this as good news so far. Hopefully the specialist can ease your minds a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you, my sweet friend. The unknown is so hard. I am sending love and praying like crazy.

    ReplyDelete