Monday, February 7, 2011

Judgement

Before I had kids, I always thought that moms of more than one child were full of it when they said that it was hard to go back after baby number 2. I'm talking about weight, here people. I seriously thought they were just lazy and didn't want to lose weight or get healthier. Joke's on me...it IS harder. Everything is harder. I still only have 2 hands, 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 eyes...you get the picture. I'm still only ONE person but I have two people to take care of...sometimes simultaneously. I don't have time to exercise...not even a little bit. Sure, I have a gym membership but since before Christmas someone has been sick and now Parker has another ear infection and fever (he does weight 17lbs 5oz), which we found out today from the pedi. He's on antibiotics again. Poor little thing. Back to what I was saying, since we've all been sick (me included), we haven't been to the Y. They don't allow sick kids and that's fine with me because I certainly don't want my kids to get sick from someone else bringing the nastiness with them there. Eating healthy is also not as easy with 2 babies. Conner eats "toddler" foods. Of course he will eat fruit too but...and for me to eat some days it's just eating what I can eat holding one (ie, PB&j) while the other is yelling at me for one reason or another. To all the moms out there that I judged before I was a mom, I am sorry. It is hard; it's stressful and it's exhausting. I will get back to it and I will have my skinny self back but I just don't know when.

I did something today that I never thought I'd do. I was on the way to the pediatrician with Parker and I heard about a depression study on talk radio (yes, I'm old, I know). I quickly grabbed my phone and called to see if I would qualify. The "ad" mentioned some of the "symptoms" that I experience and that I have started to experience in the past month or so. I don't remember all of the things they mentioned but the 2 that stood out to me were "lack of motivation" and wondering if what I was feeling "was the meds or me". I spoke to a nice lady named Tiffany. She asked me a bunch of questions and I was honest, which was really hard. It's hard to put on a happy front all of the time but being that brutally honest was even harder. I know that if I am going to get the help that I need, I have to be honest. She said that she was going to pass my information on to one of the Drs that runs the study and they would give me a call if they thought that I could benefit from it. She also encouraged me to make an appt with my Dr. to discuss these things too. I already have one scheduled for Wednesday. I'm hoping we can come up with a plan or some changes that will help. I never thought I'd be in this place but I am and I'm trying my best to deal with it in a positive way. I don't know how good I'm doing with that though.  If I'm really honest with you ( and I think it's just Shannon reading this blog now since I moved it), no one in real life really knows how not good I'm doing ( I don't want to call it bad). I have to get better. It has to, right? You would think that it was. Parker is mobile (yep, he's CRAWLING at 6.5 months) and they play now but...I'm in a funky funk. blah.

 

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm reading too! Hang in there and TALK, and get a doctor that will really listen to you if this one doesn't. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I follow your blog....not sure if you remember me or not from the bump (chikinyellow).

    Anyhow, I have/had PPD with only one child and I can't imagine two. Finally at my annual appt when my son was 18 months old I told him the truth about everything I was thinking and feeling.

    He referred me to therapist that I see every 2 weeks an I also see a psychiatrist that monitors my meds closely.

    Take the time for yourself....you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading too!
    I think alot of it is bc we are sahm's and our adult contact is limited. I definitely have days I feel down but for the most part i'm good. I live for facebook somedays. Hubby's schedules don't help things either, you never get a break. Are you still doing playgroups or is it just too much to get 2 out the door now?
    I know i've said this before but I sooo wish we lived closer! Anytime you need to vent you can call or email me...anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read...and I am glad you called and are being proactive about your health. It will get better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do follow your blog because I can so relate to your situation. I was feeling the same way you are about a year ago and all I can tell you is it does get easier. If you need to talk just email me, if you are interested in a few things I did to help myself I would definately love to share them with you. With two boys 15 months apart I still have bad days and sometimes weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jules! I am reading also!! I did the same thing after Maggie and after Karson. I was in complete denial after Maggie! I kept telling myself I was crazy, I had 2 healthy children a great job, there is no reason why I should be depressed. But the depression takes over and me telling myself that, only made it worse. So, take the time for yourself and go to the doc. It was so worth it and I ended up only having to be on meds a few months! But, WOW what a difference it made!! I completely understand how hard it is with 2. I def have no time for working out or for myself! Maybe we should start meeting once a week, or month to have lunch and just vent!!! SAHMs need that!!! love ya girl!!! It will get better I promise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umm...I commend you. I know you don't need to hear it from me but I do. I have a hard time with just one and I couldn't imagine two. I know how much it sucks to WANT to work out and not be able to. I am in the same boat. I think the study would be cool and you never know, it may help a lot! Being a mom is the hardest job in the world, end of story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading your blog! I am sorry things are tough for you right now but I am proud of you for seeking help ! I personally think you are an amazing Mommy! I am here if you need me! **Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm here!! Good for you for being proactive & brutally honest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finding help is the first step to getting better. I hope it goes well today xx

    (PS and you will get better again, this is just a hiccup) xx

    ReplyDelete