>Yesterday, we had Conner's 12mo appt. I really wasn't too concerned about it; he meets all of his milestones early and is a great eater. Well, the dr is concerned. He weighs 18lbs 8oz and is 28 3/4 in long. His iron is still low. She isn't really concerned about his height but really his weight. He went from 35% to 15% to now 3%; yes
3. there are so many emotions I feel about this. Part of me feels like I am failing. Why is he so little? Am I doing something wrong? What should I be feeding him so that he weighs more? The other part of me feels like nothing is wrong. He's my perfect little man. Sure, he's little but look at Josh and I. Neither of us are big people. We were both skinny, tiny little kids. Maybe it's genetic and that's all there is to it. BUT then there is the iron situation. At 9 mos his iron was 8.5; now it's 10 and they want it to be 11. Is there something wrong with him that is causing him to not absorb iron and therefore he isn't gaining weight like he should? I don't know, the dr doesn't know. All I know is that I have to try to fatten him up with in the next 6 weeks. We go back for a weight/iron check then.
Speaking of fattening him up...he is funny about food. Yes, he is a great eater. He always eats all of his veggies and fruit. He loves chicken and yogurt(soy). He will eat potatoes but doesn't love them; he loves beans. Last night I tried to give him ground beef (which he has had before) and he refused; he won't touch eggs. This morning, he fed his pancakes to Harley. He can't have dairy and I think that hurts us in terms of calories/fat. All I can do is keep trying.

>I was exactly where you are at for our 12 month appt, the doctor gave me a month to try to get a couple pounds on him or at least some sort of gain. He was 95th % when he was new and he got down to 5%! We can't do dairy either so it was a struggle. Email me!
ReplyDelete>Awe it will be ok. I promise!!!
ReplyDelete>the non-dairy thing --- was that something that you realized when breastfeeding or when you started him on regular food? isabel was definitely a huge spitter upper when i had "Dairy" (i assumed it was all kinds) Now that she's having regular food, i found that it was just cream that affected her -- she eats yogurt (the Yobaby suff) and cheeses just fineperhaps if you keep trying once in a while in small doses with the dairy stuff? I know that typically kids tend to grow out of it -- i know my nephew did.
ReplyDelete