Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I did it!!!

Sunday was THE day. The half marathon. In one word....Painful. Seriously...it was pretty hilly. It was SO fun though. SO fun. My sister came in from Baton Rouge and brought my MOM! what a great surprise. Kim came down from TN to run it too but she's a real bad ass and smoked me and my dehydrated self (I'll get to that). First, I want to talk about mother nature. She's a real piece of work. Thursday and Friday it was amazing here...lows in the 50s...Sunday...um it was like 40 degrees when we started. Holy cold! We got over ourselves and ran. Katie stuck with me b/c Kim hauled bootie. It's ok, Kim, I sill love ya and am super proud of you! Kaite and I set a great pace keeping the miles around 11.5 min. We didn't stop at all until almost 8 miles. This is huge for me. I haven't blogged about it but my kids were sick, then I was sick and then I was just plain tired so...guess who didn't run for THREE weeks before this race...yea, me. stupid. really. Anyway, around mile 9, I started to get all crampy so I ate my jelly beans, drank my water and felt a little better. At the next hydration station (there were 7), I got 2 cups of powerade, Katie got 3 cups of water and I drank and drank. It did help. We ran/walked/ran/walked until mile 12 when I had to walk. I bummed a gatorade off of a spectator on the side of the road. He said that he brings them to races "just in case someone needs one". Thank God for that man. I really think without that gatorade I wouldn't have been able to run the last 200 yards over the finish line. I finished in 2:53:33. I wasn't thrilled with my time but  I finished! that's what matters!!! I could barely walk Sunday afternoon and I'm still sore but it was totally worth it. I had a wonderful time and I can't wait to do another one.

[gallery link="file" columns="1" orderby="title"]

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I hightailed it down the road! You kicked major booty though. 13.1 ain't no joke and you showed the road who was boss. Congrats and way to go!! I'm super proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you dare be sorry! You did amazing!!!!!!! I couldn't keep up with you so it was FINE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it was cold! That was an awesome stranger too! You did a great job and the fact that you hadn't run for 3 weeks before and still completed it gives me hope. :) I'm gonna look into the jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete