Saturday, May 7, 2011

I need a Do-Over

Today, I ran my first 5k and I left the camera at home and the cell phone died. Go figure. whatever. I want a do-over anyway. It's really silly for me to be so bummed but whatever. I brought Parker with me and he was in the stroller. He typically does perfect in the stroller. He just lounges and chills or sleeps...until he had to WAIT for me to start running. The race was delayed buy about 35 minutes. They told everyone that they had to be at the race by 7:30 to check in and pick up chips by 7:45. Fine. Well, the course wasn't blocked off and someone got into an accident. Poor Parker was in the stroller for almost an HOUR before we even started the race. I did take him out but there really wasn't anywhere for him to play in the middle of the road. He did OK the first 2 miles (and I was pretty darn proud of my time considering I was pushing a baby in the stroller), I was pulling in 11.5 min miles. I know that isn't FAST but hey, I was pushing a stroller. Then all hell broke lose...Parker had gotten to his breaking point and the screaming did not stop...he won. I took him out and I walked, carried him and pushed the stroller. I hate my finishing time b/c I know what it could have been. Oh well. I'm getting a do-Over. for real. a 40:18 5k is awful...especially since I should have been around 34 min. ugh. It's not his fault and of course I'm not mad at my precious baby but dude. ugh. I'm going to find another race and run it sans baby. Maybe then I won't be so bummed.

Now that I have complained about the race, I want to talk about the atmosphere. Since this was my first race, I didn't really know what to expect. You bet your butt that the actress in me came out and I played the part of someone who knew what was going on. As someone who is a runner wanna be, I LOVED talking to other people who actually enjoy running and think that it is FUN. I saw someone I student taught with and that made my day. I loved her and wish we still kept in touch with. anyway, running with other people, especially strangers, and watching them is so motivating. I typically run very, very slow w/the stroller but today I was really feeling super good and I was keeping a decent pace, despite the hills and stroller. The sound of other runners is awesome. There were even mom/daughter and mom/son groups. It was SO adorable to see those kids running with their parents. I hope that my kids will want to run with me in 5 years or so.

I had so many people tell me that I did a great job, especially pushing the stroller. I SO wish I would have met my goal but I need to let that go. blah.


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU MAMA'S OUT THERE. YOU ARE AWESOME!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the run! And Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you get mad props for even doing it and WITH a baby? Yeah you just took it to 11. Hope you had a fab mothers day!

    ReplyDelete